Posts

Griffith: Like Liz Truss, Rowley should resign

Black Immigrant Daily News

The content originally appeared on: Trinidad and Tobago Newsday

News

Liz Truss

NTA leader Gary Griffith has called on the Prime Minister to follow the lead of the former British prime minister and step down.

He sent a statement to Newsday on Thursday, minutes after Liz Truss publicly announced her resignation after 45 days in office as successor to Boris Johnson.

The Conservative Party mass membership had elected her over former chancellor of the exchequer Rishi Sunak, but her efforts to enact her promises of low taxation led her to crash the British economy.

Griffith said since “We purport to pattern our system of democracy after the Westminster model,” he would trust: “Our leaders can take example from former prime minister Truss’ resignation and follow suit.”

He cited current controversies in Trinidad and Tobago.

“In the face of controversy after controversy, from the merit-list fiasco to the current Nelson imbroglio, from runaway crime to consistent economic hardship, perhaps the time has come for us to pattern ourselves firmly utilising that Westminster model and encourage Prime Minister Rowley to step down.”

Alternatively, he said the Government should seek to refresh its mandate and call a general election sooner rather than later.

“This demonstrates clearly, citizens do not have to wait to adjust the Constitution to effect change.

“It is about demanding accountability, and that happens now.”

NewsAmericasNow.com

Bureau of Standards cracks down on inferior products

Black Immigrant Daily News

The content originally appeared on: Trinidad and Tobago Newsday

News

Members of the Trinidad and Tobago Bureau of Standards , the police and fire service officers raided LF Trading store and warehouse on Charlotte Street in Port of Spain. Photo by Sureash Cholai

OFFICIALS of the Bureau of Standards on Wednesday seized truckloads of faulty electrical appliances and other items as they cracked down on imported goods that are beneath the accepted standards.

Sources at the bureau told Newsday 8,283 items were seized from one company at two locations in the first day of a three-day exercise.

The exercise saw an “all-of-government” approach in which the Bureau of Standards teamed up with the Electrical Inspectorate, Occupational Safety and Health Authority and Agency (OSHA), the fire and police services and Customs and Excise.

The team visited a warehouse at Chanka Trace, San Juan and a retail outlet at Charlotte Street, Port of Spain simultaneously. There they inspected a variety of items which they found to be in contravention of the Standards Act 82:03.

Members of the Trinidad and Tobago Bureau of Standards , the police and fire service officers raided LF Trading store and warehouse on Charlotte Street in Port of Spain. Photo by Sureash Cholai

Some of the items seized included extension cords, power strips, appliances, adapters, glue guns and lights.

The act gives the bureau the authority to order or remove any product advertised for sale that it deems unworthy according to its threshold. Failure to do so can land the business owner with a fine from $500-$1,000 or imprisonment for six months.

The bureau can seize items that are below its standards, after testing.

NewsAmericasNow.com

Minority Leader to Infrastructure Secretary: Come clean on contract to Trinidad company for road project

Black Immigrant Daily News

The content originally appeared on: Trinidad and Tobago Newsday

Tobago

Kelvon Morris. File photo/Jeff K Mayers

THA Minority Leader Kelvon Morris is calling on Secretary of Infrastructure, Quarries and Urban Development Trevor James to say how a contract for a road project in Tobago was awarded to a Trinidad company within 24 hours of the proposal.

Last month, Progressive Democratic Patriots (PDP) political leader Watson Duke accused the Farley Augustine-led THA of favouring Trinidad contractors over their Tobago counterparts for certain projects.

Augustine’s attorneys have since sent Duke a pre-action protocol letter accusing him of defamation.

Speaking at a Diego Martin West constituency conference last Wednesday, the Prime Minister also accused the THA of discriminating against Tobago contractors.

At a news conference at his office in Scarborough on Thursday, Morris referred to a contract the Division of Infrastructure awarded to the Charlieville-based California Stucco Company Ltd to build a road from Mt Marie to Dutch Fort Crossing Canal.

He said the award of the contract presented more questions than answers.

“This matter is one that speaks to transparency, accountability and is connected to the ongoing discussions of Tobago contractors being sidelined.”

Morris told reporters it wsa tied to the discussions on people outside Tobago being sole selected and hand-picked, “”and it speaks to a level of nefarious behaviour, a level of malfeasance and a level of collusion.”

NewsAmericasNow.com

74 Dominican Republic Nationals Repatriated After Illegal Voyage – St. Lucia Times News

Black Immigrant Daily News

The content originally appeared on: St. Lucia Times News

– Advertisement –

The U.S. Coast Guard Cutter Joseph Napier repatriated 74 Dominicans Republic nationals and returned eight Haitians to a Dominican Republic Navy vessel Tuesday afternoon.

It followed three separate illegal voyage interdictions in Mona Passage waters off Puerto Rico.

According to a Coast Guard release, the interdictions resulted from ongoing local and federal multi-agency efforts supporting the Caribbean Border Interagency Group CBIG.

“The Coast Guard actively patrols Mona Passage waters daily alongside our partners in the Caribbean Border Interagency Group partners to stop illegal smuggling vessels at sea and safeguard human lives,” said Capt. José E. Díaz, Coast Guard Sector San Juan commander.

– Advertisement –

“We urge anyone thinking of taking part in an illegal voyage to not take to the sea! These voyages are dangerous; you will be putting your life at risk in the hands of smugglers who are capable of embarking you aboard grossly overloaded makeshift vessels with no lifesaving equipment and abandoning you in some very harsh conditions and dangerous environments,” Díaz warned.

Between October 1, 2021, and September 30, 2022, the Coast Guard carried out 88 illegal voyage interdictions in the Mona Passage and waters near Puerto Rico.

During that time, Coast Guard personnel interdicted 2,273 non-U.S. citizens.

They included 1,705 Dominicans, 444 Haitians, four Cubans, two Ecuadorians, 67 Venezuelans, 12 Uzbeks, two Iranians, one Colombian, one Spaniard and 35 of unknown nationalities

– Advertisement –

NewsAmericasNow.com

BCF Engaged In Inmate Rehabilitation Programmes – St. Lucia Times News

Black Immigrant Daily News

The content originally appeared on: St. Lucia Times News

– Advertisement –

Chess was introduced at the Bordelais Correctional Facility by the St. Lucia ChessFederation on 19th April, 2022.

The 2 nd Intercontinental Online Chess Championship for Prisoners took place on the 13th and 14th October, 2022.

The Bordelais Correctional Facility participated for the first time, registering one team. The first round of competition took place on the 13th October, 2022. Bordelais’ team competed against inmates from Argentina,Ecuador, El Salvador, Uruguay and Trinidad and Tobago.

Team Bordelais placed 3rd in Group 7 of the Intercontinental Online Prison Chess Championship. However, they did not advance to the semi-finals.

– Advertisement –

The goal of the Intercontinental Online Chess Championship for Prisoners is to popularize chess as an efficient tool for reintegration of inmates. The governing body of the Intercontinental Online Chess Championship for Prisoners is the International Chess Federation (FIDE).

Apiculture is thriving at the BCF

Seven female inmates completed a Bee-keeping workshop at the Bordelais Correctional Facility. The workshop and apiculture project is funded by the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations through the Government of St.Lucia’s Ministry of Agriculture and Export St. Lucia.

The workshop was facilitated by the President of Iyanola Apiculture Collective (St. Lucia) incollaboration with the Association of Caribbean Beekeepers Organization.

The intent of the workshop was to build the capacity of inmates and to introduce apiculture to the facility as a potential rehabilitation project.

The workshop was held under the theme, “Empowering Women in Food Systems and Strengthening their Local Capacity and Resilience of Small Island Developing States in Agri-Food Sector”.

The course ended with the presentation of certificates of participation to all the inmates. Bee-keeping kits were also presented to the Assistant Director for Rehabilitation, Mrs. Alberta Joseph Felicien.

Two queen hives were installed at the farm prior to completion of the course. Inmates are escorted to the hives every ten days as mandated by the training and the results of their findings are recorded and conveyed to Mr. Richard Matthias (facilitator), Craig Anderson – Coordinator, and Glenfild Gilbert, who are both representatives from Export Saint Lucia.

Overall, it is hoped that this intervention will result in not only increased capacity for inmates in honey production, but also to set the stage for exploring the possibilities of entering the regional apiculture industry.

Inter – Unit Football Competition

As part of our rehabilitation efforts at the Bordelais Correctional Facility, an inter-unit football tournament is being organized for the inmates. The various residential units will be divided in two zones, Zone 1 and Zone 2. Teams in Zone 1 will be playing teams in Zone 2.

The much anticipated football extravaganza by the inmates is expected to commence month end October or early November 2022.

The Bordelais Correctional Facility is in the process of securing sponsorship for this activity. Corporate partners are encouraged to support this initiative, and to contact the Assistant Director with responsibility for Rehabilitation Mrs. Alberta Joseph – Felicien at 4687110 or 7165665 for more information.

SOURCE: Department of Home Affairs

– Advertisement –

NewsAmericasNow.com

Everything Vincy expo officially launches Monday 24th October

Black Immigrant Daily News

The content originally appeared on: NBC SVG

Vincentians will have an opportunity to view a range of products and services that would be on display at the Everything Vincy Expo, which takes place next week.

Invest SVG will host the event at the Geest Cargo Terminal in Kingstown, from October 24th to 28th.

Investment Facilitation Services Manager at Invest SVG, Shanna Browne says several local designers will be showcased during the Expo.

https://www.nbcsvg.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/10/LOCAL-DESIGNERS.mp3

The Everything Vincy Expo 2022 will officially launch on Monday 24th October, 2022 at the Geest Cargo Terminal at 10am.

Related

NewsAmericasNow.com

NBC’s Special Report – Thursday October 20th 2022

Black Immigrant Daily News

The content originally appeared on: NBC SVG

Contestant number two, Rockel Coombs currently serves as a Constable in the Royal St. Vincent and The Grenadines Police Force and aspires to pursue studies in Psychology.

Ms. Coombs who is sponsored by Intransit Export is guided by the words of Martin Luther King Jr, “You don’t have to see the whole staircase, just take the first step”.

Rawdica Stephen tells us more in todays special report.

https://www.nbcsvg.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/10/CONTESTANT-NUMBER-2-REPORT-1.mp3

Related

NewsAmericasNow.com

100-million dollars spent in preparations for construction of the New Port in Kingstown, October 20, 2022, Continue Reading →

Black Immigrant Daily News

The content originally appeared on: NBC SVG

The Government of St. Vincent and the Grenadines has already spent 100-million dollars to prepare for construction of the New Port in Capital, Kingstown.

That’s according to Minister of Finance and Economic Planning, Camillo Gonsalves who was speaking on NBC’s Face to Face Program yesterday.

The Minister said the Contractor has been actively involved in the preparation phase of the Port Modernization Project.

https://www.nbcsvg.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/10/PORT-PREP.mp3

Minister Gonsalves said the construction phase of the Port Project will begin in earnest next year.

https://www.nbcsvg.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/10/PORT-WORK.mp3

Sellhorn Engineering from Germany and Aecon Construction Group will be involved in the construction of the Port.

Related

NewsAmericasNow.com

Discussions on the continuation of repair work at the Thomas Saunders secondary school ongoing

Black Immigrant Daily News

The content originally appeared on: NBC SVG

Minister of Finance and Economic Planning Camillo Gonsalves said discussions are being held to determine if the repair work at the Thomas Saunders secondary school should continue.

Minister Gonsalves said repair was scheduled to commence on the school immediately after the students were relocated to Arnos Vale.

He said following inspection, the school needs more work than it was previously anticipated.

https://www.nbcsvg.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/10/TSSS-WORK.mp3

Minister Gonsalves said if a decision is made to demolish and rebuild the school, it means that the students will remain in Arnos Vale for at least two years.

https://www.nbcsvg.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/10/SCHOOL-STUDENTS.mp3

Related

NewsAmericasNow.com

Prescod puts up a fight: Talk to me about houses in my constituency Loop Barbados

Black Immigrant Daily News

The content originally appeared on: Barbados News

One member of parliament is up in arms following government’s decision to temporarily relocate persons housed at the Barbados Workers Union (BWU) Labor College who were displaced by Hurricane Elsa last year, to new housing units being constructed in Haggatt Hall, St Michael.

“I have a area that it’s demand is unbelievable for housing.”

The 12 housing units are being constructed through the Barbados Construction Gateway Training Initiative which was launched earlier this year by the Ministry of Education, Technical and Vocational Training (METVT) and comprises students from the Samuel Jackman Prescod Institute of Technology, Barbados Vocational Training Board, Technical and Vocational Education and Training and the Barbados Community College.

Speaking to the media on Wednesday, October 18, during a press conference held on the construction site, the representative for St Michael East Trevor Prescod openly voiced his frustrations surrounding the decision which he revealed he was not consulted about.

“I have had this problem with this Party before you know? I’ve had this problem with this party at St Barnabus when Minister Thompson was responsible for housing and it created some unnecessary bad blood. I will hope that this does not occur again!

“I am going to take this matter a little further because it seems to me that there is no intention of any form of compromise, no intention of any discussion with me on this. It seems to be a hard-headed decision that has already been made that the people are coming from at Mangrove here in a transitory form, and that I have to accept that regardless of what the consequences are, and I am not. You hear what I say? I am not! I am not accepting it!

“I have people coming at my house and at my office every day asking for housing and nobody is discussing anything with me. It cannot work!” he lamented.

I’ve even seen people move into houses on a temporary basis and up to now, the government can’t dare to put them out

Prescod professed that he believed the persons displaced by hurricane Elsa should have been given the opportunity to be housed close to their communities as opposed to his constituency.

“I believe that the housing policy should focus on constructing those units at strategic points across Barbados so that people who have been displaced from specific areas will have an opportunity to live in close proximity to where they came from.”

And he challenged the word “temporarily” being used, suggesting that it would be difficult to evict persons after they move into the steel-framed houses.

“I’ve been made to understand unofficially that people would be leaving what was described to me as the Mangrove Barbados Workers’ Union College in St Philip to be placed here temporarily. I know what temporarily means in terms of government. I saw the establishment of a market in Golden Square, a Prime Minister told us that they would be there for just a short period of time and it took decades before they were removed. I’ve seen it in many other places, I’ve even seen people move into houses on a temporary basis and up to now, the government can’t dare to put them out. They were offered to pay rent and in some cases, some of them don’t even pay rent.”

Prescod maintained that this revelation came from a place of concern as he seeks to represent the people in his constituency.

“I believe that I have a strong justification for putting up this fight some more, on the behalf of my people, and I am not doing this because of any effort to embarrass anybody or want to get on the front page of any newspaper, the ones that are popular and the ones which are now being given birth to, I am saying this because this is how I feel inside.”

The steel-framed housing units are expected to cost between BBD $180,000 and $190,000.

NewsAmericasNow.com