Posts

PM blanks Tobago carnival: ‘I am still very respectful of covid19’

Black Immigrant Daily News

The content originally appeared on: Trinidad and Tobago Newsday

Tobago

Prime Minister Dr Keith Rowley, right, chats with Chief Secretary Farley Augustine at World Food Day celebrations, Parade Grounds, Bacolet, Wednesday. Photo by Corey Connelly

Having survived covid19 on two occasions, the Prime Minister says he is not willing to risk contracting it for a third time by attending events during Tobago’s inaugural carnival from October 28-30.

Dr Rowley, who was born in Tobago on October 24, 1949, first tested positive for covid19 in early April 2021 and was under medical supervision for several days.

On July 29, a post on the Office of the Prime Minister’s Facebook page said Rowley had again tested positive for covid19.

On that occasion, the post said, “The Prime Minister, who is fully vaccinated and received two boosters, is experiencing very mild symptoms.”

Rowley, who missed an Emancipation function at the Diplomatic Centre on July 29, was seen unmasked at the police Code 727 film screening and award ceremony at Queen’s Hall on July 27. That event was attended by a number of dignitaries, including President Paula-Mae Weekes and members of the executive of the Police Service.

Speaking to reporters on Wednesday after a function to commemorate World Food Day at the Parade Ground, Bacolet, Rowley claimed he had not ventured into large gatherings since contracting covid19 the second time.

“This is as far as I am going,” he said, referring to the large crowd that had turned out to the opening ceremony.

He said he is still very respectful of covid19.

“But I know there will be a lot of people who will be in Tobago, and I hope we get through it safely.

“But I have had covid19 twice and I am trying my best not to have it a third time.”

NewsAmericasNow.com

Three withdraw from PNM elections

Black Immigrant Daily News

The content originally appeared on: Trinidad and Tobago Newsday

News

Rowley’s team: Prime Minister Dr Keith Rowley, centre, with his slate of candidates for the PNM internal election, from left, Robert Le Hunte, Irene Hinds, Abdon Mason, Daniel Dookie, Ndale Young, Finance Minister Colm Imbert, Overand Padmore, Foster Cummings, Indar Parasram, Planning and Development Minister Camille Robinson-Regis, Avinash Singh, Labour Minister Jennifer Baptiste-Primus and Laurel Lezama at the Arima Town Hall, Arima yesterday. PHOTO BY AZLAN MOHAMMED

THREE members of the PNM have bowed out of the upcoming internal elections. citing different reasons or none at all.

Voting in the election is scheduled for November 26-27 and December 4. Ndale Young withdrew as a candidate for youth officer, leaving Jeniece Scott as sole nominee. He said while the usual term was two years, he had served as youth officer for the past four years.

“I’m 41. I decided to give way.” Young said when Scott approached him, he had decided to sponsor her bid, rather than contest the seat again. “It was not because of pressure. No one asked me to withdraw.”

Young said he viewed his role as recruiting new talent. Curtis Shade, who bowed out of a five-way race to be field officer, told Newsday he did not wish to comment, when asked his reasons for withdrawing. Minister in the Ministry of Finance Brian Manning had previously told reporters he had withdrawn due to a family emergency. Among the other posts, most prominently the party’s leadership is being contested by Dr Rowley, Karen Nunez-Tesheira, Junior Barrack and Ronald Boynes.

NewsAmericasNow.com

Protest over bad roads, broken mains at Penal Rock Road

Black Immigrant Daily News

The content originally appeared on: Trinidad and Tobago Newsday

News

Penal Rock road residents staged a fiery protest along the nine mile mark, to highlight poor road conditions and lack of water in the area. Photo courtesy Steve Lezama

As she joined her constituents on Wednesday morning to protest over a broken water main which caused a major depression along Penal Rock Road, MP Michelle Benjamin confessed, “I am fed up of the same thing over and over and over again.”

The Moruga/Tableland MP said seven times in the past two months, WASA has repaired a broken main which has now undermined the road, causing a major landslip, leaving the road almost impassable.

A wooden house, owned by Razim Mohammed is also in danger of collapsing if the land movement continues.

Frustrated because her proposals to the ministries of Works and Public Utilities and the regional corporations have done little to alleviate the situation, Benjamin said she could not hold her constituents back from exercising their right to protest to bring attention to their circumstances.

She said they are loath to protest, as all they need is for the road to be made passable and for water to flow through their taps.

“But it is almost like the people of this constituency are forgotten. I am standing here amongst them and I am hearing the same cry over and over again: ‘MP, we cannot continue like this.’ Goods trucks don’t want to come in the area, children cannot go to school, taxis refuse to work this route.”

Moruga/Tableland MP Michelle Benjamin stand watch as Penal Rock road residents staged a fiery protest along the nine mile mark, to highlight poor road conditions and lack of water in the area Photos courtesy Steve Lezama

She said there are no maxi taxi drivers contracted by the Ministry of Education to transport children, as they have refused to accept the $10 per child that they claim the ministry proposed.

Owing to the increase in fuel prices and the poor state of the road, Benjamin said parents are complaining that it costs $60 a day per child to leave Marac to go to school in Barrackpore.

“There is another access point from Moruga, but that road is also plagued with landslips.”

As dawn broke on Wednesday, residents with placards gathered between the 8 ¼ and 8 ½-mile marks on Penal Rock Road. Tyres which were later set on fire, along with tree branches and concrete blocks, were put across the road to highlight its poor condition, which threatens to cut off their access.

Police arrived and a backhoe was used to remove ash and partially burnt debris from the road.

Spokesman Steve Lezama told Newsday, “Like WASA fixing that water line with spit. Is seven times in two months they repair it, but it is still leaking and the water is undermining the road and the land is shifting. The movement has left craters on the road.

The road has also dropped by some 18 inches, leaving only a small portion passable for one lane of traffic at a time. Mr Mohammed’s house has almost split in half. His family is still in the house because they have nowhere else to go.”

Lezama said the road is a major thoroughfare for people from Penal, Siparia, Princes Town and Moruga.

“This is also my access route. People pass through here from St Mary’s, because it is much shorter than to go all the way through Princes Town. So this road is a major thoroughfare.”

On Tuesday, he said a team from the Ministry of Works was on site assessing the damage and work to be done. On Wednesday a truckload of material was dropped off for some temporary measure.

Photo courtesy Steve Lezama

“That material was basically just slush and mud that could not do anything. What is required is major infrastructural work, a retaining wall or some steel piping, along with some big boulder baskets to stop the erosion.

“Before this is done, however, WASA has to get its act together and fix that leaking main.”

Benjamin said she will continue to engage the various governmental agencies to bring much-needed relief for her constituents.

NewsAmericasNow.com

Beautification projects designed to uplift lives of residents—President Ali

Black Immigrant Daily News

The content originally appeared on: INews Guyana

President Dr Irfaan Ali said that the Albouystown Beautification Project is one of the major transformational projects underway in the country, designed to uplift the lives of residents.

The Head of State made this statement during an impromptu visit to inspect the ongoing works in the community on Tuesday afternoon.

He said that the project would not only uplift the entire community, provide new areas for recreation and enhance its general appearance but “importantly this project is going to enhance the value here”.

In addition to the beautification project, the President explained that the drainage system and cross streets would also be upgraded into concrete walkways and pathways.

He also assured that space will be made available for individuals providing services along the walkways and streets.

“We’re going to set aside a piece of land, we are going to take all the services, give people small areas that have common services so that they will not lose their economic income.”

This initiative, he reiterated, is part of what his Administration is doing to transform every community in the country, to bring value, create greater prosperity, and improve living standards and livelihoods.

“I’m very pleased to walk through the entire community today. As I said, as far as time gives us the opportunity we will be visiting every single community, to ensure that we work with all the people of the country, to uplift their lives and to bring development.”

During his walkthrough of the community, the President also stopped to greet and listen to the concerns of residents.

The $1.4bn Albouystown Beautification Project was officially launched in August of this year and will also include the upgrading of Cemetery Road to four lanes.

The Head of State was joined by the Minister within the Ministry of Public Works, the Honourable Deodat Indar and technical officers of the Government.

NewsAmericasNow.com

More Than 100 Caribbean Migrants Discovered On Island Near Puerto Rico – St. Lucia Times News

Black Immigrant Daily News

The content originally appeared on: St. Lucia Times News

– Advertisement –

United States authorities have discovered more than one hundred Haitian and Dominican Republic migrants on an uninhabited Island near Puerto Rico on Tuesday.

U.S. Customs and Border Protection spokesman Jeffrey Quinones, quoted by AlJazeera, said Park Rangers with the Puerto Rico Department of Environment and Natural Resources found the group on Mona Island.

“What we know preliminarily is that they were transported in just one vessel,” Quinones said.

The Miami Herald quoted him as saying that a boat dropped off the migrants and then took off.

– Advertisement –

And Quiñones told the publication there was no evidence that anyone drowned during Tuesday’s drop-off.

Anais Rodriguez, secretary of the Puerto Rico department that found them, said the group included 60 women, three of them pregnant, 38 men, and five children ranging in age from five to 13 years old.

On Sunday, the U.S. Border Patrol, Coast Guard, and Puerto Rico Police maritime units rescued nine undocumented immigrants after a boat became stuck on massive rocks near the northwestern town of Aguadilla.

The Coast Guard also rescued two people from the water with a helicopter.

Another seven appeared to make it to shore on their own.

The Coast Guard said responding units continued searching for approximately five hours, in favorable conditions, before suspending the search for others.

Headline photo courtesy U.S. Coast Guard

– Advertisement –

NewsAmericasNow.com

Regering beraadt zich over verkoop Rosebelmijn

Black Immigrant Daily News

The content originally appeared on: De Ware Tijd Online

door Ivan Cairo PARAMARIBO — De regering is in beraad over de aangekondigde verkoop van Rosebel Gold Mines (RGM) door

NewsAmericasNow.com

Water Authority offices closed in Grand Cayman and Brac this Friday Loop Cayman Islands

Black Immigrant Daily News

The content originally appeared on: Cayman Compass

Closure is to facilitate systems upgrade

Loop News

45 minutes ago

Water Authority Cayman advised customers today that they will conduct a system upgrade on Friday, October 21, 2022. This upgrade will mean there will be no access to the Customer Web Portal from 6:00pm on Thursday, October 20 to 6:00pm on Friday, October 21.

Water Authority said that online payments will still be accessible via its website at www.waterauthority.ky or via online banking.

Additionally, Water Authority’s offices in Grand Cayman and Cayman Brac will be closed to the public on Friday, October 21 to facilitate the upgrade.

Customers in Cayman Brac may continue to place trucked water delivery orders over the phone at 948-1403, and deliveries will take place on that day.

Water Authority’s offices will re-open to the public on Monday, October 24, at 8:30am.

Disconnections and penalties have been moved to Tuesday, October 25, which means customers can make payments in the office on Monday.

The Water Authority appreciates the patience and understanding of its valued customers as it upgrades its systems to serve you better and apologises for any inconvenience this may cause.

Related Articles

More From

Festivals

CayMAS Carnival is limiting the presence of T-shirt costumes on the parade route.

In a statement posted to social media, the organisation said while it is not banning T-shirts, a costume band canno

Cayman News

Police are informing the public that Mr. Noel Paul Manning, age 53 of Bodden Town, who was previously circulated as a missing person, is now wanted by the police in relation to sexual offences. He is

Caribbean News

Minister of State for the Americas and the Overseas Territories, Jessie Norman, is set to pay a visit to the British Virgin Islands next week to get a first-hand view of efforts to address governance

Cayman News

A consultant engaged by the National Roads Authority (NRA) has now completed a traffic study of the Grand Harbour intersection and surrounding areas.

Chairman of the NRA board of directors, Alric L

Cayman News

The police have now confirmed the identity of the victim in the water-related death that occurred at the West Bay Public Beach on the weekend.

She is 70-year-old Pamela Bartlett Wilson, a visitor f

Cayman News

Minister for Tourism, Kenneth Bryan is expected to give a presentation at the AGM

NewsAmericasNow.com

More post offices to be designated NIDS enrolment centres Loop Jamaica

Black Immigrant Daily News

The content originally appeared on: Jamaica News Loop News
Loop News

2 hrs ago

Minister of Science, Energy and Technology, Daryl Vaz (centre), in dialogue with Chairman of the Postal Corporation of Jamaica, Professor Felix Akinladejo (right), and Postmaster General of Jamaica Post, Lincoln Allen, at the official reopening of the renovated Central Sorting Office (CSO), South Camp Road, in Kingston, on October 13. (Photo: JIS)

NEWYou can now listen to Loop News articles!

Twenty-three more post offices are to be designated National Identification System (NIDS) enrolment centres, alongside the Central Sorting Office (CSO) in Kingston.

Speaking at the reopening of the renovated CSO on South Camp Road in Kingston on October 13, Chairman of the Postal Corporation of Jamaica, Professor Felix Akinladejo, shared information about the partnership enabling the rollout.

“The postal services and the national identification system (NIDS) have forged a mutually beneficial partnership which will ensure the benefit of our stakeholders. A number of strategically located post offices across the island will be designated as NIDS enrolment sites, and the renovated CSO is the first to be operationalised,” the professor said.

This echoes the announcement made by Minister without Portfolio in the Office of the Prime Minister, Floyd Green, during a post-Cabinet press briefing the day before. He has responsibility for the NIDS project.

While the CSO is now open and the NIDS enrolment centre is complete, the NIDS Pilot Programme is not expected to commence until the end of the year.

“To date, NIDS has been a key stakeholder in the renovation of the CSO, having made significant financial contribution to the funding of the project, and this partnership is currently ongoing with 23 other post offices,” the professor said.

The NIDS project contributed approximately $10 million to the renovation of the CSO and is to similarly assist with the modernisation of post offices designated to be enrolment centres.

The contribution was matched by the Post and Telecommunications Department, which also provided labour for the renovation works.

Related Articles

More From

Jamaica News

A Jamaican who rose through the ranks of the British Army to become the highest-ranking enlisted soldier in the elite unit responsible for protecting the late Queen was recently cleared of a plot to s

Sport

Two of Jamaica’s top sportswomen – Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce and Shericka Jackson, were on Monday conferred with national honours during the annual National Awards Ceremony held on the lawns of King’s H

Jamaica News

Joined high school students from around the world in Geneva, Switzerland for Olympic-style event

Jamaica News

A high alert has been activated for 13-year-old Shontoya Martin of Beckford Close, Banister District, Old Harbour in the parish of St Catherine who has been missing since Sunday, October 16.

She is

Jamaica News

The Montego Bay CIB has launched a probe into an incident in which a policeman reportedly shot a female after she allegedly stabbed him on Monday.

Reports are that the policeman went to an establis

Jamaica News

Irate residents and transport operators have blocked several sections of the North Coast Highway in the vicinity of central St Mary on Tuesday as they protest the poor condition of the roads in surrou

NewsAmericasNow.com

VIDEO: Antigua Airways invites Nigerians to travel to Antigua for 5 days

Black Immigrant Daily News

The content originally appeared on: Antigua News Room

CLICK HERE TO JOIN OUR WHATSAPP GROUP

NewsAmericasNow.com

Maracas lifeguard stable after being hit by pirogue

Black Immigrant Daily News

The content originally appeared on: Trinidad and Tobago Newsday

News

File photo/Ayanna Kisnale

A 35-year-old lifeguard is in stable condition after he collided with a fishing pirogue while swimming in Maracas Bay on Wednesday afternoon.

Police said William Grisham of Las Cuevas was swimming at around midday when the accident happened.

Swimmers nearby saw the accident and brought Grisham ashore.

He was taken to the Port of Spain General Hospital, where he was treated and warded in critical but stable condition in the High Dependency Unit.

He is suffering from blunt force trauma to the head and cuts to the right shoulder.

Maracas Bay police are continuing enquiries.

NewsAmericasNow.com