STATHS whip Dunoon 5-0 to remain perfect in Manning Cup Loop Jamaica

Black Immigrant Daily News

The content originally appeared on: Jamaica News Loop News
Loop Sports

50 minutes ago

Kevin Williams, left, of St Andrew Technical High School (STATHS) and Habbie Mohammed of Dunoon Technical fight for possession during their Group D match of the ISSA/Digicel Manning Cup competition at STATHS on Saturday, September 17, 2022. (PHOTO: Marlon Reid).

NEWYou can now listen to Loop News articles!

St Andrew Technical High School (STATHS) scored a 5-0 victory against visitors Dunoon Technical on matchday six of the ISSA/Digicel Manning Cup football competition on a rainy Saturday.

The win pushed STATHS to sole leadership of Group D with maximum six points.

Leon Brown opened the score for STATHS in the 18th minute followed by strikes from Alexavier Gooden (29th minute), Omar Reid (40th minute), Richard Livingston (60th minute), and Shakeone Satchwell (65th minute).

Over at Maxfield Park in another Group D fixture, Norman Manley edged Tarrant High 1-0 for their first win of the campaign. Both teams are on three points.

Only three matches were scheduled for the day. However, the other match between Spanish Town High and Jonathan Grant at Prison Oval in Spanish Town was rained out.

The competition continues on Tuesday with 11 games.

Related Articles

Sport

September 17, 2022 04:11 PM

Sport

September 17, 2022 12:50 AM

Sport

September 11, 2022 01:14 AM

More From

Sport

Jamaican sprinting legends Usain Bolt and Elaine Thompson-Herah turned to modelling by taking the catwalk for Puma during New York Fashion Week.

Five-time Olympic champion Thompson-Herah in an Inst

Jamaica News

Two of three persons who were injured in a drive-by attack by gunmen on the Melrose Hill bypass road in Manchester on Friday, have reportedly succumbed to their injuries.

The deceased have been ide

Sport

A Manning Cup football game between hosts Camperdown High and Papine High on Friday descended into mayhem as disgusting and violent clashes broke out on the field.

The match, being held at the Alph

Jamaica News

Campion College said its community is deeply saddened by the tragic passing of fifth-form student Jordan Gibson.

Jordan drowned in the school’s pool in St Andrew on Thursday afternoon.

The stude

Lifestyle

The SAINT model army was among the Jamaicans dominating the just-ended New York Fashion Week (NYFW).

Sprint legends Usain Bolt and Elaine Thompson-Herah were also in the city that never sleeps, on

Entertainment

Makeup transformations are usually amazing, but ultra-talented makeup artist, Annada Aaliyah Anthon is creating a buzz on social media with her jaw-dropping creations.

The Guyanese woman is tra

NewsAmericasNow.com

Bajan athletes have earned over $100,000 for their performances Loop Barbados

Black Immigrant Daily News

The content originally appeared on: Barbados News

In four years’ time, Barbados’ athletes have earned in excess of a whopping $100,000 for their podium finishes across numerous disciplines.

Sharing this news is the newly re-elected President of the Barbados Olympic Association and the Commonwealth Games Association of Barbados, Sandra Osborne.

She delivered breath remarks at the celebratory reception for the island’s outstanding athletes at Ilaro Court and then spoke to Loop on the sidelines.

Osbourne disclosed that “So far, since 2019, over $100,000 have been earned by athletes under this [BOA incentive] programme.”

However, she said that when compared to statistics out of the United Kingdom (UK) Sport, Barbados cannot compare. She said the BOA looked at what it took the UK to produce an Olympic medalist between 2016 and 2020, and “the investment is staggering, and obviously, we lack the same scale, but the only point that we want to make here is that it takes not just a village, but a country.”

Osborne, therefore, thanked the Barbados Lotteries saying their “longstanding contribution to sport has allowed us to invest $20 million in athletes and national federations over the last four-year Olympic cycle and to more than double our direct athlete funding in 2022, to $1.475 million, cannot be overstated.”

She also mentioned government’s commitment to the BOA by way of taxes levied on the gaming industry in recent years. She said as the beneficiary of such, they are then able to pass on the good fortune to athletes.

But hammering home the need for more support still, she added, “As always, I repeat my call for more support for the dreams and ambitions of these fine Barbadian athletes.”

NewsAmericasNow.com

Archers ready? Wildey could become the home of multiple sports Loop Barbados

Black Immigrant Daily News

The content originally appeared on: Barbados News

Athletes across multiple disciplines may in the future convene in Wildey in and around the Garfield Sobers Gymnasium to train at their respective state-of-the-art facilities.

Huge plans are being cooked up for the Wildey area as it relates to sports locally.

Bajan sportsmen and sportswomen are on the receiving end of numerous promises this week as the minister responsible for Sports, Charles Griffith sheds light on many plans and proposals to develop the nation’s athletes locally. And this was but one more revelation by Griffith in an interview with Loop.

He was at the time responding to the question posed about developing nontraditional sports, especially in schools, after we saw that recently during orientation at the Christ Church Foundation School, the Archery Development and Training Centre sought to try to introduce staff and students to this less than popular sport. Loop also highlighted archer Javier Jordan who earned a gold medal at the Developmental Championship and archer Charlene Goddard who has qualified for the CAC Games with her silver medal. The pair represented Barbados and were competing in Santo Domingo.

Responding, Griffith shared:

“We’re looking to develop the whole Wildey area for sports and archery is one of those disciplines that we are looking to see if we can find a home for archery at the Wildey complex.

“Now, in order to grow the national federations and in order to grow sports, we are looking to get sports activities in schools and the community.”

And he said that his ministry is ready and willing to assist the various sports associations. But to the question of archery specifically, he added, “We will do whatever is necessary as long as they reach out to us for assistance, then we at the National Sports Council will do whatever we can to build the sport of archery on the island.”

NewsAmericasNow.com

Carlos Aaron: ‘Ik ben benieuwd hoe de mensen het nummer zullen vinden’

Black Immigrant Daily News

The content originally appeared on: De Ware Tijd Online

Carlos Aaron terug met ‘Verantwoortoe’ door Steven Seedo PARAMARIBO — “Ik was even moe van muziek.” Dat is de reden

NewsAmericasNow.com

Journ?e de grande turbulence ? Saint-Marc

Black Immigrant Daily News

The content originally appeared on: Le Nouvelliste

Une foule impr?visible, de plusieurs centaines de personnes furieuses, a traduit sa col?re toute la journ?e du vendredi 16 septembre 2022, ? travers les principales art?res de la ville, pillant et incendiant des entreprises commerciales priv?es et des b?timents de l’administration publique.

D?s l’aube, la ville a ?t? compl?tement barricad?e de pneus enflamm?s, apr?s une nuit de tension, entre des jets de pierres et de bouteilles, ainsi que des tirs nourris d’armes automatiques. Toutes les portes des grandes institutions financi?res et du petit commerce sont rest?es ferm?es, jusque tard dans la soir?e, et la circulation est toujours cat?goriquement impossible.

Les meneurs du mouvement chaotique exigent <>. Ils qualifient le chef du gouvernement de <>.

Les bureaux r?gionaux de la Digicel, de la Natcom, du CAM Transfert, de l’ONA, de l’APN, de la Douane, de la DGI et les entreprises locales B?l Kay, repr?sentant de Valerio Canez, Gaz Fra?l et Spot Bar de l’ancien maire Nicolas Dorvilus, ont ?t? saccag?s, avant d’?tre vandalis?s et brul?s. Les institutions bancaires et plusieurs supermarch?s, inaccessibles malgr? toutes les manoeuvres orchestr?es par la foule, sont s?v?rement lapid?s. Vers 19 heures, le local de la mairie a ?t? investi et d?pouill? de tous ses objets utiles.

Extr?mement violents, les auteurs responsables de ces actes, annoncent, dans l’anonymat, que <> Ils projettent de <>

Plusieurs personnalit?s de la soci?t? civile se disent choqu?es par l’ampleur de la situation qui s’est d?g?n?r? <>. Le secr?taire g?n?ral de l’Association des entrepreneurs de Saint-Marc, Jocelyn Ulysse, note que <>.

D’une source fiable, nous avons appris que <>. Toutefois, le commissaire de gouvernement, Me Mo?se Deristin, interrog? par le journal, rassure que <>.

R?agir ? cet article

Please enable JavaScript to view the comments powered by Disqus.

NewsAmericasNow.com

Major flooding in sections of St Catherine Loop Jamaica

Black Immigrant Daily News

The content originally appeared on: Jamaica News Loop News
Loop News

1 hrs ago

Flooding John’s Road

NEWYou can now listen to Loop News articles!

The police are advising members of the public that sections of St John’s Road and Spanish Bypass in St Catherine are now flooded due to the inclement weather.

As a result, motorists and pedestrians are urged to proceed with caution and consider fellow roadusers. Wherever possible, use an alternative route.

Related Articles

More From

Sport

Jamaican sprinting legends Usain Bolt and Elaine Thompson-Herah turned to modelling by taking the catwalk for Puma during New York Fashion Week.

Five-time Olympic champion Thompson-Herah in an Inst

Entertainment

Makeup transformations are usually amazing, but ultra-talented makeup artist, Annada Aaliyah Anthon is creating a buzz on social media with her jaw-dropping creations.

The Guyanese woman is tra

Jamaica News

Two of three persons who were injured in a drive-by attack by gunmen on the Melrose Hill bypass road in Manchester on Friday, have reportedly succumbed to their injuries.

The deceased have been ide

Jamaica News

Campion College said its community is deeply saddened by the tragic passing of fifth-form student Jordan Gibson.

Jordan drowned in the school’s pool in St Andrew on Thursday afternoon.

The stude

Lifestyle

The SAINT model army was among the Jamaicans dominating the just-ended New York Fashion Week (NYFW).

Sprint legends Usain Bolt and Elaine Thompson-Herah were also in the city that never sleeps, on

Sport

A Manning Cup football game between hosts Camperdown High and Papine High on Friday descended into mayhem as disgusting and violent clashes broke out on the field.

The match, being held at the Alph

NewsAmericasNow.com

EYEWITNESS: Checking up…on democratic street cred

Black Immigrant Daily News

The content originally appeared on: INews Guyana

What was it that old Imperialist, genocidal warmonger Churchill – responsible for 10 million deaths in 1943 Bengal when he shipped all their grain to Britain!! – said about democracy?? “Many forms of Government have been tried, and will be tried in this world of sin and woe. No one pretends that democracy is perfect or all-wise. Indeed it has been said that democracy is the worst form of Government except for all those other forms that have been tried from time to time.…” Now whether he was a hypocrite or not – democracy’s certainly triumphed in today’s world to give Governments legitimacy! Even that fat fella in North Korea claims he’s a democrat!!

The UN – of course! – has a day for Democracy!! This ‘Intl Day of Democracy’ was commemorated on Thursday as you know. Surely you didn’t miss all those fulsome full-page ads taken out by the Government – and the kvetching by the Opposition!! That’s the essence of democracy – the party that gets into Government swears that everything is hunky dory and the party that lost says the Government’s full of doo-doo!! We saw the present Opposition big up themselves between 2015-2020 while the PPP cussed them out something fierce, didn’t we?. This means we have a “functioning” democracy!!

But the ABCE Ambassadors also weighed in on democracy in general – which everyone knows is “diplomatese” for what they want democracy in GUYANA to be!! As we all know back in March 2020, they had shown through their ACTIONS that democracy didn’t mean futzing with the counting of the votes of the citizenry. The PNC, however, knew that the same diplomats – and the countries they represented – had looked discreetly away when they actually DID AWAY with the count altogether back in the day!! So they tried a “ting”!! But seems the ABCE has moved on when they took a hard line against rigging. THAT wasn’t democratic no mo!!

Announcing their present understanding of democracy, they said in a joint statement: “…we?resolve to support the people of Guyana to continue building a democratic system that is strong, resilient, and guarantees all Guyanese have a voice and role to play as the country moves forward at this unique time in its history.” Now, since diplomatic language is a form of ‘speaking in tongues”, what does this REALLY mean?? Your Eyewitness is happy to deconstruct the statement!! The key word is “continue” – the ABCE will “continue building a democratic system” – that is, they’ll continue with what they did between March and August in Guyana to maintain democracy here!!

Meaning that the Opposition should quit trying to overturn 2020 – and get on with preparing for 2025!! Democracy ain’t perfect…but it’s still the best of what’s around!!

…on Reg 4 elections SNAFU

Well, the other foot just dropped on the CoI into what went down in our last elections – the terms of reference are now out. And we’re told that the goodly gentlemen – Judges all but none female – will be honing in on the goings on in District (Reg) 4. Meaning, mainly in the Ashmins Building but not forgetting the case of the Soiled Bedsheet under the shed next to the GECOM HQ!! Enquiring minds want to know how that sheet got soiled!! Mingo’s name was “called” in the terms of reference!!

The CoI’s report is supposed to be out in “seven months” – meaning March 2023 – the anniversary of the electoral SNAFU!! Coincidence?? Now some of you might be saying that the election’s petition might be heard by then. And this just means that some of you, Dear Readers, are incurable optimists!! Don’t forget that the 1997 elections’ petition took 4 years and the 2015 one was never heard!!

Maybe we’ll have a snap election then?

…on the US

Word’s out the US is becoming a developing country. Re the UN Sustainable Development Index, it dropped to 41 from 32nd. The Economist’s democracy index now lumps it among “flawed democracies” – with Haiti’s Gini index on inequality!!

NewsAmericasNow.com

Jonathan Jones hoping to train at home without risking injury Loop Barbados

Black Immigrant Daily News

The content originally appeared on: Barbados News

A bronze medal at the just concluded 2022 Commonwealth Games in the Men’s 400m, but he’s “hungry for more”.

Jonathan ‘Jono’ Jones is the golden boy in the eyes of many Bajans after his last season at his school in Texas, with the summer Commonwealth Games podium finish just being the icing on the cake.

Home to celebrate his medal-winning performance for Barbados in a history-making final dash on the home straight to take him from fourth to bronze, and to enjoy spending time with his family, especially his grandmum, and his friends, Jonathan chatted with Loop at the reception held in honour of himself, Sada Williams, Amber Joseph and Shane Brathwaite, though he couldn’t make it home at this time. The reception was held at Ilaro Court.

Jonathan, who is studying Kinesiology, confessed that looking back on that 400 m final where he was running alongside the World’s best, he just knew he wanted to end the season on a high and getting the bronze did just that. However, knowing his potential and drive, he is adamant that he has more in the tank and he is still “hungry”.

So Barbadians can continue to watch him as he finishes off school and his collegiate career before he graduates in December, and then beyond. And he thanked those persons who are following the ebbs and flows of the Bajan athletes in all sports around the globe. He expressed his gratitude for their messages, IG story posts and tweets and urged them to keep them coming.

Talking after the Sports Minister shared with the public that a 400-metre track will be constructed at the Wildey Gymnasium, Jones said that he is glad to hear about this proposal. Asked about how he trains on the occasion that he comes home, he disclosed that in Barbados he has to hold back on the home tracks at present because they are not up to par. He said it’s disappointing not to be able to give it his all on home soil, but in the back of his head, he hears his overseas coaches warning him of the dangers of running hard on an improper surface.

“So if I could come home and run on a track, even at Wildey, I’d be more than happy,” he stated.

Heading back out soon, Jonathan made a call to corporate Barbados to really get onboard more to help Barbados’ sportsmen and women. He said, “sponsorships are welcomed!”

NewsAmericasNow.com

ANALYSE — Regering verzwijgt de ware feiten

Black Immigrant Daily News

The content originally appeared on: De Ware Tijd Online

Op weg naar een nieuwe crisis De regering Santokhi/Brunswijk begint steeds meer tegen een uitzichtloze situatie aan te kijken wat

NewsAmericasNow.com

Fiona a eu raison du rallye Ho Hio Hen Automobile, À cause des averses survenues vers midi ce midi, la directrice de course, en lien avec les autorités, a informé de la décision de la préfecture de ne pas autoriser la course., Fiona a eu raison du rallye Ho Hio Hen Automobile, À cause des averses survenues vers midi ce midi, la directrice de course, en lien avec les autorités, a informé de la décision de la préfecture de ne pas autoriser la course.

Black Immigrant Daily News

The content originally appeared on: Martinique FranceAntilles

F.G.
Samedi 17 Septembre 2022 – 14h34

À cause des conditions météos, la préfecture n’a pas signé l’arrêté autorisant la course. – F.G.

À cause des averses survenues vers midi ce midi, la directrice de course, en lien avec les autorités, a informé de la décision de la préfecture de ne pas autoriser la course.

Ce samedi (17 septembre), peu avant midi, les équipages se préparent à disputer la 6e édition du rallye Ho Hio Hen Automobile. 

À midi, heure prévue du départ, une sérieuse averse sévit sur le parc fermé. Les concurrents sont avisés que les organisateurs de l’ASA Tropic sont en négociation avec la préfecture et tentent de recueillir des informations de la météo, la Martinique devant passer en vigilance jaune à midi. 

Vigilance Orange

A 12 h 45, la directrice de course, France-Lyse Magloire réunit tous les acteurs du rallye : « la préfecture est en réunion de crise. De notre côté, nous avons proposé des solutions, des alternatives afin que le rallye puisse avoir lieu. Mais la préfecture vient de nous informer que la Martinique restait en vigilance orange et nous a donc refusé de signer un arrêté nous permettant de faire ce rallye. Nous sommes donc au regret de vous informer que la 6e édition du rallye Ho Hio Hen est annulé ». Une décision acceptée sans contestation par les équipages. Il faudra donc attendre pour souffler les 40 bougies de l’ASA Tropic et les 50 des établissements Ho Hio Hen.

Sur le même sujet

  La sélection de Martinique défiera la …

NewsAmericasNow.com