Marabella man shot, wounded near home

Black Immigrant Daily News

The content originally appeared on: Trinidad and Tobago Newsday

News

File photo

A 41-year-old man was fighting for his life at hospital after being shot near his home in Marabella on Wednesday night.

The police said Eric James, of West Bay Shore, was in critical condition.

The shooting happened at around 9 pm on Wednesday.

A close female relative, 72, heard the gunshots while in her bedroom. She found James walking along the road bleeding.

Another relative took him to the San Fernando General Hospital.

The police said James had been shot twice in the abdomen.

Up to Thursday, the shooter/s remained on the run.

Acting Cpl Mycoo of the Marabella police station is leading investigations.

NewsAmericasNow.com

Water back in Penal from Tuesday

Black Immigrant Daily News

The content originally appeared on: Trinidad and Tobago Newsday

News

Stock photo source Ángelo González

The Water and Sewerage Authority (WASA) said customers in Penal who are experiencing low pressure or no water supply may find relief after Tuesday night.

A media release on Thursday said this was caused by a mechanical problem at the Penal Water Treatment Plant.

It said repairs are under way and should be completed by 8 pm next Tuesday.

WASA warned it may take up to 36 hours after the completion of the work for the supply to become normal in some affected areas.

In the meantime, a limited truck-borne service will be available on request through the WASA Services app.

This can be downloaded from the Android Play Store or iPhone App store.

Alternatively, customers can use the customer portal on WASA’s website: www.wasa.gov.tt. or contact WASA’s Customer Call Centre at 800-4420/26 for further assistance.

Areas affected:

Penal Quinam

Mora Dam Road

Zion Hill

Moolai Street

Anthony Branch Trace

Reyes Trace

Water Well Road

Alverado Trace

Alta Garcia Trace

Doorbassa Trace

Sunrees Road,

Katwaroo Trace

Ragoonanan Trace

Patiram Trace

La Costena

Dill Mohammed Trace,

Boodoo’s Development

Debedial Road

Fazal Avenue

Bobby Avenue

Parts of Batchyia Trace

NewsAmericasNow.com

Marabella teen missing since Tuesday

Black Immigrant Daily News

The content originally appeared on: Trinidad and Tobago Newsday

News

Missing person: Aiesha Regis, 15 – TTPS media release

The police are asking for the public’s assistance in finding Aiesha Regis, 15, of New Haven Avenue, Marabella.

A police media release said Regis was last seen on Tuesday and was reported missing by her family that same day.

Regis is described as being of African descent, five foot four inches tall, of slim build and dark brown in complexion.

She was last seen wearing her school uniform: a white shirt and blue pleated skirt with a red-and-blue tie.

Anyone with information on her whereabouts is asked to call the Marabella Police Station at 652-6777, 800-TIPS or contact the police at 555, 999, 911, or any police station. They can also use the TTPS app.

NewsAmericasNow.com

Verification for steel and cement initiative to begin next week

Black Immigrant Daily News

The content originally appeared on: INews Guyana
Collin Croal, Minister of Housing and Water

The verification process to move ahead with the disbursement of steel and cement for home builders could begin as early as next week, Minister of Housing and Water, Collin Croal has disclosed.

He made the disclosure during a recent interview with the Department of Public Information (DPI).

The steel and cement initiative was announced by President Dr Mohamed Irfaan Ali, earlier this year.

It will see homeowners benefitting from the support of steel and one sling of cement for homes being built under $6 million, and two slings of cement for those aiming to build homes between $6 and $25 million.

“The implementing stage is going smoothly. In fact, we have over 1,900 persons who would have uplifted forms to be able to benefit from that programme. In terms of persons who are able now to move to the next phase, we have over 230 such persons for which in the new week, we will commence the investigative stage,” he said.

The minister explained that any Guyanese in possession of land can qualify for the initiative, granted that they have pre-approval, in the form of their construction plan.

“And once we have that pre-approval for the plan, then through the Central Housing and Planning Authority mechanism, you must provide your ownership, and we’ll move smoothly, fill out the necessary application forms.”

Suppliers for steel and cement are currently being approved by the Central Housing and Planning Authority (CH&PA) board.

Once the committee for the housing subsidies is approved, applicants will begin receiving the materials.

“The beneficiaries will receive a voucher. There is no cash payment… there is a voucher that will be going to the respective optional suppliers. We will have a list of those such suppliers indicated, and so they will be going to the respective suppliers to uplift their steel and cement… to start the construction,” the minister said.

Persons can register for the steel and cement support by uplifting forms from various offices of the housing ministry, as well as the Central Housing and Planning Authority head office, or any of the sub-offices in Regions Two, Three, Four, Five, Six, Nine and Ten.

They can also download the forms via the Ministry of Housing and Water’s website, mohw.gov.gy, or the CH&PA website, chpa.gov.gy.

Private developers embarking on home construction are encouraged to utilise the housing support as well.

NewsAmericasNow.com

WATCH: Ministry Of Health Motorcade Promotes Mental Health – St. Lucia Times News

Black Immigrant Daily News

The content originally appeared on: St. Lucia Times News

– Advertisement –

St. Lucians are being urged to take care of their mental health.

This was part of the message during a Mental Health Awareness Motorcade hosted by the Ministry of Health.

Stigma and discrimination are being blamed for persons avoiding treatment for mental illness. The fight against stigma and discrimination played a major part of this year’s World Mental Health Day observances.

More in this report:

– Advertisement –

SOURCE: Ministry of Health

– Advertisement –

NewsAmericasNow.com

WATCH: Saint Lucia Maritime Sector Stakeholders Discuss Safety & Security – St. Lucia Times News

Black Immigrant Daily News

The content originally appeared on: St. Lucia Times News

– Advertisement –

Last week, stakeholders in the maritime sector met in Soufriere to discuss challenges and improve maritime safety and security.

Facilitated by the Saint Lucia Air and Sea Port Authority’s Division of Maritime Affairs, stakeholders participated in an entire day workshop.

More in this report:

– Advertisement –

SOURCE: Soufriere Regional Development Foundation

– Advertisement –

NewsAmericasNow.com

Junioren kickboksers naar Curaçao

Black Immigrant Daily News

The content originally appeared on: De Ware Tijd Online

door Marinio Balsemhof PARAMARIBO — Tehelya-Araby Nekrui, Keara Muntslag, Valentino Artist, Leroy Cramer, Hesmichano Bodeutsch en Donne-G Sadhoe vertegenwoordigen Suriname

NewsAmericasNow.com

BREAKING — Nederlands kabinet gaat excuses aanbieden voor slavernijverleden

Black Immigrant Daily News

The content originally appeared on: De Ware Tijd Online

DEN HAAG — Het Nederlandse kabinet gaat excuses aanbieden voor de Nederlandse rol in het slavernijverleden. Ook komt er een

NewsAmericasNow.com

Tennis: fin de carrière pour Gilles Simon après sa défaite face à Auger-Aliassime

Black Immigrant Daily News

The content originally appeared on: Martinique FranceAntilles

Gilles Simon a mis un terme, à 37 ans, à sa carrière de joueur jeudi après sa défaite en 8es de finale du Masters 1000 de Paris face au…

Gilles Simon a mis un terme, à 37 ans, à sa carrière de joueur jeudi après sa défaite en 8es de finale du Masters 1000 de Paris face au Canadien Félix Auger-Aliassime (8e) 6-1, 6-3.

“Merci Gilou”, a écrit Auger-Aliassime sur la caméra en quittant le court pour laisser place à une cérémonie organisée par la Fédération française en l’honneur de Simon.

Le Français avait annoncé en mai qu’il rangerait sa raquette à l’issue de la saison, sa 21e sur le circuit professionnel, et il a reçu une invitation pour entrer dans le tableau principal de Bercy. Il avait réussi à repousser l’échéance par deux fois en s’imposant au premier tour face à l’ex-N.1 mondial Andy Murray et au deuxième face au 11e mondial Taylor Fritz.

Mais il s’était bagarré 2h50 contre le Britannique et 3h06 contre l’Américain si bien qu’il n’avait plus le physique pour résister à Auger-Aliassime, l’un des jeunes (22 ans) les plus en forme du moment puisqu’il vise à Bercy un quatrième titre en quatre semaines après s’être imposé à Florence, Anvers et Bâle.

La ferveur du public a été rapidement éteinte quand Simon s’est retrouvé totalement dépassé dès le début de la partie: 3-0 puis 5-1.

Les craintes d’un fiasco ont encore augmenté lorsque le Français s’est tenu la cuisse gauche de douleur dans le dernier jeu de la première manche.

Et plus le match avançait, plus Simon a chancelé sur ses cuisses. Mais comme il en a habitué ses adversaires tout au long de sa carrière, il a refusé de rendre les armes et s’est battu jusqu’au bout du bout.

Nouveau Mousquetaire

Il n’a cependant pu empêcher FAA de se hisser en quarts de finale où il tentera de décrocher une 15e victoire successive, face à Frances Tiafoe (21e) qui s’est débarrassé de l’Australien Alex de Minaur (25e) 6-3, 7-6 (7/5).

“J’ai un énorme respect pour Gilles et pour tout ce qu’il a fait pour le tennis français et pour la communauté du tennis en général”, a affirmé le Canadien.

“Je savais que ce serait un match difficile, c’est sûr que c’est un moment très spécial, c’est un moment énorme de se retirer (du circuit)”, a-t-il ajouté.

Simon, né à Nice le 27 décembre 1984, a débuté sur le circuit professionnel en 2002.

Il a atteint le 6e rang mondial le 5 janvier 2009 et se retire sur un palmarès fort de 14 titres ATP. Le premier à Marseille en 2007, le dernier à Metz en 2018.

Il est le quatrième Tricolore le plus titré de l’ère Open (depuis 1968), derrière Yannick Noah (23), Jo-Wilfried Tsonga (18) et Richard Gasquet (15).

En termes de victoires, il en compte 504 et seuls Gasquet (588) et Gaël Monfils (525) ont fait mieux. Dans la catégorie des Masters 1000, il a gagné 124 matchs et seul Gasquet (140) est devant.

Au cours de sa carrière, Simon a notamment battu Roger Federer (deux fois), Rafael Nadal (1), Novak Djokovic (1) et Andy Murray (3).

Il a décroché son meilleur résultat en Grand Chelem à l’Open d’Australie 2009 et à Wimbledon 2015 en se hissant en quarts de finale.

Avec Jo-Wilfried Tsonga, qui a pris sa retraite à Roland-Garros cette année, Richard Gasquet et Gaël Monfils, il constitue les “nouveaux Mousquetaires”. Il a remporté avec les deux premiers notamment, la Coupe Davis en 2017.

es-ig/fal

Le Français Gilles Simon (à gauche) et le Canadien Felix Auger-Aliassime (à droite) après le huitième de finale du Masters de Paris, le 3 novembre 2022.
• Christophe ARCHAMBAULT

NewsAmericasNow.com

Entertainer Spice not in a coma, says booking agent Loop Cayman Islands

Black Immigrant Daily News

The content originally appeared on: Cayman Compass

Dancehall star Spice is not in a coma, according to her booking agent Ray Alexander.

“She didn’t suffer a heart attack and she is not in a coma,” Alexander told Loop News on Wednesday evening.

The booking agent dispelled the rumours, which reportedly started with news that the ‘So Mi Like It’ singer had developed complications during a cosmetic medical procedure at an undisclosed medical facility in the Dominican Republic.

Even Minister Marion Hall, the dancehall artiste-turned-Christian formerly known as Lady Saw and the former queen of dancehall, urged her followers to pray for the current queen of dancehall during a livestream on Wednesday.

Despite Alexander insisting the comments are rumours, this would not be Spice’s first time under the knife as she previously had cosmetic surgery in 2020. In November of that year, she shared a photo of her “new designer body” to her Instagram page.

Cosmetic surgery enhances appearance for non-medical reasons, addressing physical features that can bring a person closer to their ideal body image.

The entertainer — whose given name is Grace Hamilton — is known for a slew of hit songs, such as ‘Send It Up’, ‘Sheet’, ‘Indicator’, ‘Genie’, and ‘Fight Over Man’, and ‘Romping Shop’ featuring Vybz Kartel.

Just over two weeks ago, in a post to her Instagram page, the recording artiste said she would be taking a break from social media. Since sharing that on October 17, no new posts have been made to her Instagram account.

In fact, if one checked her Instagram account, they would see only posts related to her latest album ‘Emancipated’, which debuted at No 7 on the Billboard Reggae Albums chart.

Her debut album ’10’ was nominated for Best Reggae Album last year.

In recent years, Spice has expanded her brand beyond the confines of dancehall, co-starring in the VH1 reality series Love & Hip Hop: Atlanta, and championing her own clothing line, Graci Noir.

NewsAmericasNow.com