Posts

RSLPF Probing Discovery Of Rifles, Magazines In Refrigerator At Castries Wharf

Black Immigrant Daily News

The content originally appeared on: St. Lucia Times News

– Advertisement –

The Royal Saint Lucia Police Force (RSLPF) is investigating a report regarding two rifles and two magazines found in a refrigerator at a shed on the Castries wharf.

The Customs and Excise Department reported the discovery to the police on Monday at about 11:19 am.

It comes amidst mounting concern over a spike in gun violence in Saint Lucia and the rest of the Caribbean and the presence of firearms and ammunition among imported items.

In parliament, Prime Minister Philip J. Pierre recently warned against using concessions on importing barrels to promote illegal activities.

– Advertisement –

Pierre, responsible for National Security, was speaking on a motion exempting imports of personal items, food, clothing, toys, and other household consumables in barrels from Value Added Tax.

The Castries East MP recalled that on several occasions, barrels contained items that were not food, care packages, or toys.

“This is spoiling the reputation of the country,” he told parliament.

And a September 24-30 joint firearms operation between INTERPOL and the Caribbean Community (CARICOM) Implementation Agency for Crime and Security (IMPACS) led to the seizure of some 350 weapons, 3,300 rounds of ammunition, and record drug hauls across the region.

Operation Trigger VII saw officers from 19 countries coordinate controls at airports, seaports, land borders, and inland hotspots.

The officers acted on intelligence, pointing to organized crime groups and individuals involved in firearms trafficking.

They searched warehouses, inspected packages, and conducted targeted checks at firearms dealerships, shooting ranges, and private security companies.

– Advertisement –

NewsAmericasNow.com

British PM Liz Truss quits after turmoil obliterated her authority Loop Barbados

Black Immigrant Daily News

The content originally appeared on: Barbados News

British Prime Minister Liz Truss resigned Thursday — bowing to the inevitable after a tumultuous six-week term in which her policies triggered turmoil in financial markets and a rebellion in her party obliterated her authority.

She said, “I cannot deliver the mandate on which I was elected.”

Just a day earlier, Truss had vowed to stay in power, saying she was “a fighter and not a quitter”. But Truss couldn’t hold on any longer after a senior minister quit her government with a barrage of criticism and a vote in the House of Commons descended into chaos and acrimony just days after she was forced to abandon many of her economic policies.

Her departure leaves a divided Conservative Party seeking a leader who can unify its warring factions.

A growing number of lawmakers had called for Truss to resign after weeks of turmoil sparked by her economic plan. The plan unveiled by the government last month triggered financial turmoil and a political crisis that has seen the replacement of Truss’ Treasury chief, multiple policy U-turns and a breakdown of discipline in the governing Conservative Party.

Earlier, Conservative lawmaker Simon Hoare said the government was in disarray.

“Nobody has a route plan. It’s all sort of hand-to-hand fighting on a day-to-day basis,” he told the BBC on Thursday.

He said Truss had “about 12 hours” to turn the situation around.

Truss had held a hastily arranged meeting in her 10 Downing Street office with Graham Brady, a senior Conservative lawmaker who oversees leadership challenges. Brady was tasked with assessing whether the prime minister still has the support of Tory members of Parliament — and it seemed she did not.

A growing number of Conservative members of Parliament had called Thursday for her to step down and end the chaos.

“It’s time for the prime minister to go,” lawmaker Miriam Cates said.

Another, Steve Double, said of Truss: “She isn’t up to the job, sadly.”

Legislator Ruth Edwards said “it is not responsible for the party to allow her to remain in power.”

Lawmakers’ anger grew after a Wednesday evening vote over fracking for shale gas — a practice that Truss wants to resume despite opposition from many Conservatives — produced chaotic scenes in Parliament.

With Conservatives holding a large parliamentary majority, an opposition call for a fracking ban was easily defeated. But there were displays of anger in the House of Commons, with party whips accused of using heavy-handed tactics to gain votes.

Chris Bryant, a lawmaker from the opposition Labour Party, said he “saw members being physically manhandled … and being bullied.”

Conservative officials denied there was manhandling.

Rumors swirled that Conservative Chief Whip Wendy Morton, who is responsible for party discipline, and her deputy had resigned. Hours later, Truss’ office said both remained in their jobs.

Newspapers that usually support the Conservatives were vitriolic. An editorial in the Daily Mail was headlined: “The wheels have come off the Tory clown car.”

International Trade Secretary Anne-Marie Trevelyan, sent onto the airwaves Thursday morning to defend the government, insisted the administration was providing “stability.” But she was unable to guarantee Truss would lead the party into the next election.

“At the moment, I think that’s the case,” she said.

With opinion polls giving the Labour Party a large and growing lead, many Conservatives now believe their only hope of avoiding electoral oblivion is to replace Truss. But they were divided about how to get rid of her, and over who should replace her.

The party is keen to avoid another divisive leadership contest like the race a few months ago that saw Truss defeat ex-Treasury chief Rishi Sunak. Among potential replacements — if only Conservative lawmakers can agree — are Sunak, House of Commons leader Penny Mordaunt and newly appointed Treasury chief Jeremy Hunt.

A national election doesn’t have to be held until 2024.

In a major blow, Home Secretary Suella Braverman resigned Wednesday after breaching rules by sending an official document from her personal email account. She used her resignation letter to lambaste Truss, saying she had “concerns about the direction of this government.”

“The business of government relies upon people accepting responsibility for their mistakes,” she said in a thinly veiled dig at Truss.

Braverman was replaced as home secretary, the minister responsible for immigration and law and order, by former Cabinet minister Grant Shapps, a high-profile supporter of her defeated rival Sunak.

The dramatic developments came days after Truss fired her Treasury chief, Kwasi Kwarteng, on Friday after the economic package the pair unveiled September 23 spooked financial markets and triggered an economic and political crisis.

The plan’s 45 billion pounds (US$50 billion) in unfunded tax cuts sparked turmoil on financial markets, hammering the value of the pound and increasing the cost of UK Government borrowing. The Bank of England was forced to intervene to prevent the crisis from spreading to the wider economy and putting pension funds at risk.

On Monday Kwarteng’s replacement, Hunt, scrapped almost all of Truss’ tax cuts, along with her flagship energy policy and her promise of no public spending cuts.

He said the government will need to save billions of pounds and there are “many difficult decisions” to be made before he sets out a medium-term fiscal plan on October 31.

Speaking to lawmakers for the first time since the U-turn, Truss apologised Wednesday and admitted she had made mistakes during her six weeks in office, but insisted that by changing course she had “taken responsibility and made the right decisions in the interest of the country’s economic stability”.

Opposition lawmakers shouted “Resign!” as she spoke in the House of Commons.

Labour Party leader Keir Starmer accused the Conservatives of lacking “the basic patriotic duty to keep the British people out of their own pathetic squabbles”.

He said that amid a worsening a cost-of-living crisis, “Britain cannot afford the chaos of the Conservatives anymore. We need a general election now.”___By JILL LAWLESS

Associated Press

NewsAmericasNow.com

Royaume-Uni: chaos au gouvernement, Truss plus…

Black Immigrant Daily News

The content originally appeared on: Guadeloupe FranceAntilles

Post Content

NewsAmericasNow.com

Mom injured in house fire dies hours after her 4-y-o succumbed Loop Jamaica

Black Immigrant Daily News

The content originally appeared on: Jamaica News Loop News

Suspect in custody as arson probe continues

Loop News

49 minutes ago

NEWYou can now listen to Loop News articles!

Rose Beecher, the mother of four-year-old Sariah Kowen who was killed in a fire at a house in Dean Pen district, near Highgate, St Mary on Tuesday, has died.

The woman, who sustained those injuries during the said fire, was admitted in the hospital in serious condition.

She died at around 9:15 pm on Tuesday, acting Head of the St Mary police, Deputy Superintendent (DSP) Kevin Francis, told Loop News on Wednesday afternoon.

The senior lawmen said one suspect is in police custody relative to the ongoing investigations into the fire.

Reports from the St Mary Police are that at about 3:30 am., occupants of the house were awoken by a loud explosion after which realized that the house was on fire.

The police and fire department were contacted and cooling-down operations were conducted.

Efforts to rescue the child were unsuccessful. Little Sariah’s charred remains were later found.

The police are probing whether the fire was deliberately lit.

Related Articles

More From

Jamaica News

Joined high school students from around the world in Geneva, Switzerland for Olympic-style event

Sport

Jamaica’s Sunshine Girls continued to dominate the Americas Netball World Cup Qualifier at the National Indoor Sports Centre in Kingston by whipping Antigua 80-23 on day four of the tournament on Wedn

Sport

Two of Jamaica’s top sportswomen – Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce and Shericka Jackson, were on Monday conferred with national honours during the annual National Awards Ceremony held on the lawns of King’s H

Jamaica News

Twenty-nine-year-old Monique Doyle of Spring Village, Bushy Park, St Catherine has been missing since Saturday, October 15.

She is of brown complexion, medium build and about 170 centimetres (5 fee

Jamaica News

Say they are happy to now be considered employees after court ruling

Jamaica News

Members of the Jamaica Constabulary Force and Jamaica Defence Force are maintaining a strong presence in Denham Town, St Andrew Wednesday, following the murder of a man in the area.

The deceased, w

NewsAmericasNow.com

Royaume-Uni: chaos au gouvernement, Truss plus…

Black Immigrant Daily News

The content originally appeared on: Guadeloupe FranceAntilles

Post Content

NewsAmericasNow.com

Liz Truss resigns as Britain’s Prime Minister after disastrous six-week tenure

Black Immigrant Daily News

The content originally appeared on: Antigua News Room

CNN — 

Liz Truss will resign as Britain’s Prime Minister after a disastrous six-week tenure, she announced on Thursday, after losing the support of several key ministers and Conservative lawmakers.

This is a breaking story. It will be updated…

CLICK HERE TO JOIN OUR WHATSAPP GROUP

Editor

NewsAmericasNow.com

Inmate Attack At BCF Under Investigation – St. Lucia Times News

Black Immigrant Daily News

The content originally appeared on: St. Lucia Times News

– Advertisement –

Authorities of the Bordelais Correctional Facility (BCF) have strongly denounced the assault of a male inmate by two other fellow inmates.

The incident occurred on the evening of Saturday, October 15, 2022 whilst an officerwas transferring the inmate from one cell to another. The officer summoned back – upwhich helped to quell the incident.

In response to this incident, the correctional institution has activated its disciplinary andinvestigative procedures. Additionally, BCF Deputy Director Mr. Leonard Terrence hasconfirmed that the assault is under investigation by the police.

The assaulted inmate was transported to the Saint Jude’s Hospital where he was treated for lacerations to his face and back. He was later discharged in a stable condition.

– Advertisement –

The Department of Home Affairs reiterates that any form of conduct, which places thelife, and wellbeing of inmates or correctional officers in any form of danger is intolerable.

The Department encourages the management and staff of the BCF to keep up the good work.

SOURCE: Department of Home Affairs. Headline photo: Screen grab from social media video.

– Advertisement –

NewsAmericasNow.com

31 days to go: The 2022 FIFA World Cup Teams Preview Loop Barbados

Black Immigrant Daily News

The content originally appeared on: Barbados News

T-31. In numerology, the number 31 is synonymous with creativity, change and progress, all characteristics associated with 2022 FIFA World Cup.

Technological innovation, mouth-dropping architecture and future stars awaiting to display their talent for the world to see.

The lead up to this World Cup has experienced some unique challenges, however through diligence and passion for the game, the show will go on.

Related Article

Sport

By Melton Williams

One country who has faced a distinctive issue is Ecuador, who survived an appeal to secure their place at the inaugural winter World Cup.

Chile filed an appeal with the Court of Arbitration of Sport (CAS) against FIFA’s decision to allow Ecuador to participate in the 2022 FIFA World Cup.

The case brought to CAS was one of player ineligibility.

Byron Castillo, a Colombian-born defender who plays in the Ecuadorian Serie A and played in eight World Cup Qualifier matches, was the player in question.

Ecuador’s Byron Castillo protects the ball during a World Cup Qualifying match versus Chile

FIFA and CAS deemed his eligibility legitimate, and Ecuador will be making their fourth appearance in a World Cup.

Country: Ecuador

Capital: Quito

Population: 17.6 million

Confederation: South America Football Confederation (CONMEBOL)

Group: A

Professional League: Liga Pro Beteris

World Cup appearances: 4; best overall finish in 2006- Quarterfinals

Qualification status: 4th in CONMEBOL Qualifiers

Key players: Enner Valencia (Fenerbache; Turkey), Moises Caicedo (Brighton & Hove Albion; England), Angelo Preciado (Genk; Belgium), Jeremy Sarmiento (Brighton & Hove Albion; England)

Coach: Gustavo Alfaro (Argentine)

Group mates: Qatar, Senegal, Netherlands

Prediction: Likely to finish third in the group.

NewsAmericasNow.com

‘Pesten, vernederen en mishandelen pijnlijker in deze periode’

Black Immigrant Daily News

The content originally appeared on: De Ware Tijd Online

PARAMARIBO — “Het is schrijnend dat in oktober, de maand waarin de LGBT-gemeenschap en overige mensenrechtenorganisaties in Suriname zich inspannen

NewsAmericasNow.com

Royaume-Uni: chaos au gouvernement, Truss plus…

Black Immigrant Daily News

The content originally appeared on: Martinique FranceAntilles

Une nouvelle démission surprise au gouvernement, une soirée de mélodrame au Parlement: la Première ministre britannique Liz Truss, déjà sur la sellette après six semaines au pouvoir, ne tient plus qu’à un fil à Downing Street.

“Chaos”: le mot est repris sur toutes les unes de la presse britannique jeudi matin, pour résumer la journée cauchemardesque de la veille à Westminster où un vote a tourné à la foire d’empoigne. Pour le tabloïd The Sun, Liz Truss est “brisée”. Son “autorité est en lambeaux après une journée extrêmement chaotique”, écrit le quotidien, ajoutant que “le gouvernement est en train de s’écrouler devant nous”.

“La réalité du pouvoir de Liz Truss était fragile (…) elle est désormais condamnée”, assène The Times dans son éditorial.

Affaiblie au sein de sa majorité conservatrice, plus impopulaire que jamais dans l’opinion, Liz Truss a beau assurer qu’elle veut rester au pouvoir, sa situation semble de plus en plus intenable, après l’abandon en rase campagne de son programme économique et le départ de deux de ses principaux ministres.

Son gouvernement vit désormais d’heure en heure mais, après 12 ans au pouvoir, son parti semble jusqu’à présent tétanisé, incapable de s’entendre sur un successeur et se refusant d’affronter des élections anticipées le renvoyant dans l’opposition.

“Liz Truss doit partir dès que possible”, a lâché l’ancien ministre conservateur David Frost, qui la soutenait ardemment auparavant, dans une tribune au Daily Telegraph.

Le député Crispin Blunt a estimé jeudi matin sur la BBC qu’il fallait “un changement aujourd’hui pour arrêter cette cacophonie et donner à notre pays la gouvernance dont il a besoin”.

Pour les conservateurs, l’enjeu maintenant est de trouver un successeur capable à la fois de rassembler le parti et d’inspirer confiance dans un pays qui, au delà du chaos politique, subit une crise économique et sociale majeure avec une inflation qui a atteint en septembre 10,1%, un sommet en 40 ans.

La sortie du blocage politique actuel en dépend, mais les différentes tendances au sein du parti ne semblent pas encore s’être accordées alors que plusieurs noms circulent, comme ceux de Rishi Sunak, Jeremy Hunt, Penny Mordaunt –la ministre chargée des relations avec le Parlement– voire même Boris Johnson, le Premier ministre qu’elle a remplacée en septembre.

En attendant, l’opposition travailliste continue de caracoler dans les sondages, et son chef Keir Starmer doit s’exprimer jeudi devant le Congrès des syndicats (TUC), au moment où de nombreux mouvements sociaux agitent le pays face à la crise du coût de la vie.

– Représailles contre les frondeurs –

Mercredi, après une séance de questions au Parlement difficile, où Liz Truss s’est dite “battante” sous les attaques et les huées de l’opposition, la journée a viré au chemin de croix pour la Première ministre.

Moins d’une semaine après le départ du ministre des Finances Kwasi Kwarteng, c’est la très à droite ministre de l’Intérieur Suella Braverman qui a dû quitter un navire gouvernemental à vau-l’eau.

Elle a été remplacée par Grant Shapps, ancien ministre des Transport sous Boris Johnson, dans un nouveau geste d’ouverture à l’égard des anciens adversaires de Liz Truss dans la course à Downing Street, Shapps ayant soutenu Rishi Sunak.

Braverman a expliqué avoir démissionné pour l’envoi de documents officiels avec son e-mail personnel, enfreignant le code ministériel, mais les médias britanniques évoquent surtout les divergences grandissantes entre les deux femmes sur l’immigration.

La soirée a ensuite été mouvementée au Parlement où un vote – remporté par le gouvernement – sur la levée du moratoire sur la fracturation hydraulique, technique polluante d’exploitation du gaz de schiste, a visiblement tourné à la foire d’empoigne entre les conservateurs.

Des députés de la majorité ont refusé de voter dans le sens du gouvernement, malgré les représailles auxquelles ils s’exposent, Downing Street ayant expressément demandé de respecter la consigne de vote.

La ministre des Transports Anne-Marie Trevelyan, qui avait la lourde tâche jeudi matin de défendre le gouvernement dans les médias, a confirmé sur Sky News que “des mesures disciplinaires appropriées seraient prises” contre les ministres frondeurs, s’il apparait qu’ils n’ont aucune excuse valable pour n’avoir pas suivi la majorité.

NewsAmericasNow.com